Following on from the
v0.7.x releases and a series of prerelease candidates,
v0.8.0 is available at last!
This release packs in a tonne of stability improvements, as well as a whole load of new features grinning
As part of this release, we’re updating our API format in order to better support the 1.0 release, which we hope to reach within the next few months. This has been accomplished in a backwards-compatible for now, to make the upgrade process easier, especially for users that manage large numbers of certificate resources.
As well as the new release, we’ve also finally created a project logo! For those of you who are attending KubeCon EU, we’ll be handing out stickers at the Jetstack booth from tomorrow onward!
The deployment manifests have now moved from being a part of our GitHub repository and are now published alongside each image tag. Please double check the installation guide for more information on where the manifests can now be found. This change does not affect the Helm chart!
New ACME configuration format
As part of stabilizing our API surface, we’ve made a change to the way you configure your ACME based certificates.
Instead of Certificate resources containing an extra
field, which is only relevant for ACME certificates, the configuration has now
moved over to the Issuer resource instead. More details on this change can be
found in the upgrade notes.
OpenShift installation instructions
In order to make it easier for users to run cert-manager on platforms other than Kubernetes, we’ve improved our OpenShift support, including an official installation guide for users of OpenShift.
If you use OpenShift in your organization, check out the getting started section for more information on how to get up and running!
Webhook based ACME DNS01 solver
Over the last year and a half, we’ve had more than 15 pull requests to add new ACME DNS01 providers to our codebase. It’s been brilliant to see such vibrant community involvement, however it’s become infeasible for us to continue to accept, test and maintain such a rapidly growing matrix of providers.
As a result, we’ve put together a new ‘webhook’ DNS01 solver type. This allows you to create and install your own DNS01 providers without having to make changes in cert-manager itself.
You can see an example repository to get started building your own over in the cert-manager-webhook-example repo on GitHub.
This is a new and experimental feature, however we’re excited to see the community move to this new model of extending cert-manager.
Switch to structured logging
As the project has grown, we’ve also increased the verbosity and frequency of our log messages.
Over time, this has become difficult to manage and work with, and so with the
we have begun the process of switching over our code base to structured logging.
This should make it far easier to index, search and grep through log messages that cert-manager emits.
Your feedback here is really valuable, so please open issues and comment on Slack if you have any issues!
- make email address an optional field in ACME issuers (#1483,
- Fix bug when handling resources that have
lastTransitionTimeset to null (#1628,
- Allow OpenShift to install cert-manager chart (#1395,
- Update documentation for new ‘solvers’ field (#1623,
- Fix issue where ingress-shim would not clear old configuration when migrating to the new ‘solvers’ field (#1620,
- Add new
issuer.spec.acme.solversfield that replaces
certificate.spec.acmein order to make all certificate resources portable between issuer types. The previously syntax is still supported to allow easy migration to the new configuration format. (#1450,
additionalPrinterColumnformatting for Certificate resources (#1616,
- Fix update loop in certificates controller and add additional debug logging (#1602,
- Automatically retry expired Challenge resources (#1603,
- Build under MacOS. (#1601,
- Disable the CAA check by default, and introduce a new
--feature-gates=ValidateCAA=trueoption to enable it (#1585,
- Improve error handling when ACME challenges fail to Present or CleanUp (#1597,
- Add static label for solver identification to allow usage of custom service (#1575,
- Fix issues running the
cainjectorcontroller on Kubernetes 1.9 (#1579,
- Fix upgrade bug where
lastTransitionTimemay be set to nil, rendering cert-manager inoperable without manual intervention (#1576,
- Add webhook based DNS01 provider (#1563,
- Add DNS01 provider conformance test suite (#1562,
- fix typo in the deployment template (#1546,
- Automatically generate LICENSES file (#1549,
- Switch to go modules for dependency management (#1523,
- Bump to use Go 1.12 (#1429,
- use authoritative nameservers for CAA checks (#1521,
- Update certificate if issuer changes (#1512,
- also whitelist IPv6 (#1497,
- Set default
acmesolverimage based on arch (#1494,
- Improve logging in ACME HTTP01 solver (#1474,
- Run metrics server on cert-manager instances that have not been elected as leader (#1482,
- Switch to structured logging using
- fixing the quick-start documentation to use the new helm chart repo
- Removes need for
hostedZoneNameto be specified. Uses discovered DNS zone name instead. (#1466,